S.G.S. Timeline.

1734. A Salford Grammar School is opened by the Rev.John Clayton in a building adjoining
his house in Gavel Lane, Salford.

1810. A Salford Grammar School is opened in Leaf Square (on the opposite side of the
Square from where the later building would be located almost a century later). However it has
no connection with the one before or the one founded in 1904..

1904. Following the 1902 Education Act and the transfer in 1903 of the responsibility for the
provision of education from the School Board to the Council, the Education Committee
establishes the Salford Municipal Secondary School for Boys, which in 1932 will change its
name to Salford Grammar School. It is created by the amalgamation of the boys' section of
the Central Higher Grade Scholarship School, the male pupil teachers from the Pupil
Teachers Centre on Victor Street, and the day school of the Royal Technical Institute, together
with an annual intake, by examination, of boys from the elementary schools. The new School
is located in the Royal Technical Institute in Peel Park, under the headship of the Institute's
Principal Mr H.B. Knowles, and opens on 29th August. There is an annual fee of 3, with free
scholarships for 25% of the boys.

1907 There is already discussion on the overcrowded conditions at the Institute.

1908 In November Mr Knowles resigns from the Institute to become the full time Headmaster
of the School.

1909 Joseph Binns becomes the first pupil to be awarded a Cartwright Exhibition, worth 35
a year, for three years study at the University of Manchester.

1913 Mr Knowles accepts the headmastership at Ashford County Secondary School, Kent,
and is succeeded as Headmaster by Mr H.B. Winfield, who had been senior science master
since 1904.

1914 The Salford Municipal Secondary School for Boys, normally abbreviated to SSSB,
aquires its own premises in Leaf Square, which are opened on the 16th July by Sir William
Mather. They are designed to accomodate 320 boys. Two weeks later the first world war
breaks out and four weeks after that teaching commences. However, the following March the
School is taken over at a few days' notice as a military hospital and the boys return to the
Technical Institute building, overflowing into 1 Park Place. It will not be until their return to Leaf
Square after the War that the Schools' separate identity and character are properly

1918 A week before the matriculation examinations the boys rapidly start falling victim to the
Spanish influenza pandemic.

1921 A bronze memorial tablet to 74 Old Boys of Salford Secondary School who gave their
lives in the Great War was unveiled by Canon Peter Green in the school hall on Wednesday.
S.C.R. 24/12/21 Ref.1.

1924 In Paris 20 year old Walter Rangeley, who attended the School from 1916 to 1920, wins
a silver medal in the Olympic Games as a member of the 4X100 metres relay team. Four
years later in Amsterdam he will win silver again in the individual 200 metres and bronze in
the 4X100metres relay.

1925 The first open University Scholarship to be gained by the School is awarded to a boy in
the Arts Sixth.

1927 The Headmaster Mr Winfield dies aged 48 and the senior master Mr. J.G. Altham is
appointed to succeed him.

1932 After it is recognised that the work of the Salford Municipal Secondary School for Boys
runs parallel to that of the modernised endowed grammar schools, the School is renamed
Salford Grammar School.

1934 Consideration is given to building new premises for the School on the fields opposite
Kersal Cell.

1937 Salford Educaton Committee purchases the house and the 24 acres of grounds of
"Claremont" from Sir Percival Heywood for 17,750, with a view to building new premises for
SGS in the new future. The house had been built in 1830 for Robert Gardner Esq. and was for
most of its life called "Chaseley". The Heywood family purchased it from Gardner's trustees in
the mid 1860's and changed its name to "Claremont" in 1923, when the original "Claremont"
which had been next door and which they also owned was demolished.

1939 On Saturday 2nd September the School is evacuated to Lancaster, using the Gregson
Institute as its base. However, it reopens at Leaf Square at the end of February 1940. Click
for more.

1941 The Headmaster Mr Altham retires and is succeeded by Mr. C.J. Gill.

1942. The first of three "Nashcrete" huts with which Salford is being supplied by the Ministry of
Food for use as British Restaurants, arrived this week.. It will be errected on a site near Cross
Lane Market at the side of the Cattle Market Hotel.
S.C.R. 25/9/1942. Ref 2.
Some Old Salfordians may have memories of this establishment when it was used for school
dinners in the late 1940s - "The Clarendon".

Home Page.
Time Line (cont.) >>