Pendleton High School Time Line.
P.H.S. in its later years was an amalgamation of three separate schools, viz Pendleton High School,
Salford Municipal Secondary School (Summer Hill) and Victor Street Pupil Teacher Centre.
1867 William Agnew went to live at Summer Hill, entertaining many notable visitors who included
Tenniel, Millais, Burne-Jones and other Pre-Raphaelites. Many of these artists made sketches on the
walls which were preserved for many years. Gladstone, Lord Roseberry amd John Bright (the reformer)
were also regular visitors.
1880 Opening of Manchester High School.
The Manchester Association for the Education of Women were eager to open a school in the Pendleton
area to follow Manchester H.S. and so extend its catchment area for femail pupils Amongst the
members of this Association were Oliver Heywood of Eccles and Emily Gaskell, daughter of the famous
novelist.
1883 In October, advertisements appeared in the Manchester Guardian and the Salford papers about
the planned opening of the new school, Pendleton High School.
1884 21 January. Opening of P.H.S. (purely as a fee-paying school) as a branch of Manchester High
School, at 2 Birch Mount, Eccles Old Road. The first Headmistress was Miss Mary Butcher who was
formerly the Deputy Headmistress of Manchester H.S. There were two other members of staff and an
initial roll of 14 pupils, although there was room for 80. Pupils took an Entrance Examination and
transferred to Manchester H.S. on reaching the age of 14.
1888 The school became an "all-age" school for girls (6 to 19) and boys were admitted, under the age
of 10. Classroom space was increased by also occupying the neighbouring house. Dinner tickets
went on weekly sale.
1891 An extension was built connecting the two houses in Eccles Old Road. A Pupil-Teacher Centre
opened in Irwell Street which later moved to Victor Street.
1892 First Speech Day held jointly by Pendleton High and Manchester High Schools, at the Free
Trade Hall, Manchester.
1902 The Pupil-Teacher Centre in Irwell Street became the Salford Secondary Municipal School for
Girls- the boys transferring to the Technical School on the Cresent.
1903 P.H.S. opened a Kindergarten with 11 children,
1904 P.H.S. full, so a committee is formed to look for better accomodation. The School is also
seriously in debt.
1905 Miss Butcher retires-replaced by Miss Patterson. By now there were 15 members of staff,
including a solitary male- the Art Master.
1908 P.H.S. moves to Gorsefield (the house next to Summer Hill) opening on the 24 September.
The cost of the new school was approximatly 9000 raised mainly by voluntary subscription and by
the holding of 3 day bazaars.
Salford Education Council approves a grant of 100 to fund two Scholarships enabling girls from
poorer households to attend P.H.S.
1911 All connections with Manchester High School are severed.
1916 The Headmistress, Miss Patterson replaced by Miss Limebeer, known as "Pop".
During WW1, courtesy of the Agnew familly, Summer Hill occupied by Belgian Refugees.
1921 Sir George Agnew presented Summer Hill to Salford Corporation and it was to be used as a
Municipal Secondary School with a Pupil-Teacher System.
1924 Mumps epidemic caused the creation of a special "Mumps Class".
1928 Salford Municipal Secondary School for Girls amalgamated with Victor Street Pupil-Teacher
Centre and occupied Summer Hill.
1929 P.H.S. amalgamated with Summer Hill but retained the name Pendleton High School. The
new school occupied Gorsefield and Summer Hill and was administered by the Local Authority. It
was still basically fee-paying.
Miss Whale became Headmistress.
1930 Junior Department transferred to Chaseleyfield.
1933 Opening of the extension which joined the two houses, Gorsefield and Summer Hill, together.
1939 School evacuated to Accrington.
1940 After the Salford Blitz, the school was used as a reception centre for Salfordians who had
been bombed out of their houses.
1950 Production of the first School Magazine.
House system introduced, the Houses being named after the School's founders, Agnew, Armitage,
Barlow, Broadfield, Dixon and Scott.
1951 Last junior pupil from the Lower III left Chaseleyfield which was then only used for
needlework classes for the next 20 years or so.
1952 School Orchestra formed.
1956 January, SGS moved into their new building across Chaseley Road, amid great
excitement!
1973 September, Comprehensive Education introduced in the City of Salford.
Pendleton High School ceases to exist. Years 2 to 5 combine with the corresponding years of
Salford Grammar School to form Buile Hill High School and the Sixth Forms of P.H.S. and
S.G.S. combine to form Pendleton Sixth Form College.
Miss Pearson becomes the first Head of Pendleton College.
2011 Since the closure of Pendleton High School, Gorsefield and the connecting block (school
hall etc.) have been demolished. Summer Hill survives and is now in use as a Nursing Home. The
major part of the School's grounds are now covered by a 1980's housing estate.
Chaseley Field has been extended and now houses a block of luxury appartments.
P.N. 11/2011
Pendleton High School Home Page.